Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sak Yant - Traditional Thai Tattoo

 
Hey!

It has been a few days since my last post but i have been busy these days. As you know i started taking pictures and they turned out to be not that bad. The fact that i am still sidelined doesn't make it less eventfull. My injuries still hold me back to train Muay Thai, so i do weights every other day to keep me busy and in shape.

But enough about training. Today im here to show you my first tattoo. I decided to go with a Sak Yant - a sacred traditional thai buddhist tattoo. My friend Michael got one the other other day and told me about his experience and he got me curious right away.




Michael and i drove to his house and he introduced me. After a few minutes he left and the the ceremony - reading began. It all started by giving him my birth date, with that detail, he started talking about my character, my feelings, my hopes, my strengths, and he was spot on.






I felt my whole life like getting a tattoo, but at the same time i was never sure what to get. I now know why, i was waiting for the right time and for someone to choose the right tattoo for me.  I had the choice between putting it on the front near the solar plexus or at the back. The tattoo he chose for me is for balance, confidence, power, protection - an overall lucky charm or he liked to call it "magic"



 
  
Getting a Sak Yant is not just about getting a tattoo, it is about thanking your god, your parents all the people that help you and about asking for forgiveness for all the bad things you have done in your life. The people you have hurt or injured and the animals you have killed. It is about cleaning your body from bad luck and emotions and filling it with happiness and to keep your mind in balance.






It is a very unique experience and i feel very lucky that i was able to be part of a ceremonial like this. The monk was praying the whole time, during the tattoing and before and afterwards. I could literally feel the power flowing into my body and all the bad thoughts leaving it.







Looking back at it, it was an amazing and unique way to get my first tattoo and i will never forget the warm and kind hospitality i received from the monk and his family.

The process took about 5 1/2 hours and it cost 7000 Baht. If you think about getting a tattoo in this way i encourage you to do so, you won't regret it.





If you are on Koh Samui and you are looking for a Sak Yant check out the following homepage and ask if you can drop by and get a tattoo.

www.samuisakyan.com
www.spiritbuddha.com
Tel.: 086-9437464

Thanks for reading, have a nice day, see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous read!
    Thank you very much Manuel.
    Waiting to get my own Sak Yant and this affirms what I beleive!
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete